The Lancer

One Acts Bring Zombies to Belleville East

Photo Credit: Katie Kaylor

Back to Article
Back to Article

The One Acts is an annual play that is put on for the freshman and sophomore classes. While any student may participate on the tech side, only freshmen and sophomores are allowed to act in the play. This year’s cast included fifteen members and eighteen others who participated in the technical aspects of the play.

This year’s play was called Downton Zombie and was written by Wade Bradford. It is a spoof of Downtown Abbey with a zombie twist. Mr. Cowell, Mrs. Elden, and Ms. Ratermann were sponsors this year.

Asked about what she likes about sponsoring One Acts, Mrs. Elden said, “I really enjoyed sponsoring the Once Acts because it’s a great opportunity for East’s young talent to come together and hone their skill. These young actors grow so much over the course of our six week season, and they get to show East why theater and the arts are an integral part of the school community.”

It took around a month to built the stage, the set, and props. Techies have an important role in the One Acts. Senior Sydney Pray added, “Without the tech crew, there isn’t a set, there’s no one on curtains, and there’s no light or sound.”

Brandon Gee said, “My experience as a student director has been absolutely surreal. From the friends to the memories I’ve made being apart of this show, I am so grateful to have been a part of it.”

The One Acts is a tradition that allows students to showcase their skills while building relationships with their peers. As Oscar Wilde once said, “The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life.”