The Lancer

Filed under Community

Belleville East Hosts “Blue Out” Day For Hurricane Harvey Relief

Recently, Belleville East has adopted a high school called Sterling Aviation High School, located in Houston, Texas. On Friday, September 29th Belleville East hosted a Blue Out Day to help raise money for hurricane relief in order to directly assist Sterling Aviation High School. Students were given the option to make a monetary donation or sign a postcard of encouragement in exchange for wearing their favorite blue to school.

A sophomore at Belleville East named Kailynn Langford was the one who initially
wanted to get this initiative going. She said, “I love helping people. When I saw all the destruction in Texas and the people that lost everything, it made me want to help out even more.”

There were only about 20-25 people who had gotten the whole adoption process started but now the entire school is involved. In total, the entire adoption process took approximately one month to fully complete.

Assistant Principal Whipple said, “Mrs. Schulte and I wanted to pick a school that Belleville East could have good and long lasting relationship. Also, Belleville East and Sterling Aviation have the same school colors.”

Since Sterling Aviation High School was affected by Hurricane Harvey, hosting a Blue Out Day was a great opportunity for our Lancers to show their support. Over 1500 students participated in the Blue Out Day.

Mr. Whipple hopes that this inspires other students to get behind their cause and show
their support to this program. He is very proud of all the monetary donations, postcards, and overall support that everyone has already shown towards this program.

The is entire program is funded by student donations so if you would like to show your support in any way, you can send in donations or write an encouraging message on a postcard and it will be sent to Sterling High School. Currently, Belleville East has raised approximately $2,000 and completed about 300 postcards. Great job Lancers!