The Lancer

Movies with a Meaning

Resolving Racial Issues One Movie at a Time

Ever since the beginning of time, different races have existed. Racism has been an issue for many centuries and it still is. However, if people would understand cultural differences and struggles of other ethnicities, that might be a way to end the senseless hate and discrimination based on skin color. Such a goal is what the Racial Harmony Club at Belleville East stands for.

Racial Harmony club has been active for 4 years now, and on Tuesday, November 21st, they are having an event called “Movies with a meaning” in the cafeteria. The movie they are playing, Green Mile, shows how a judicial system can sometimes be unjust.

“The whole event has been the idea of our members, and they also chose the movie we are going to play” says Ian Hendricks, chemistry teacher and sponsor of the Racial Harmony Club. Mr. Hendricks also stresses the importance of educating teenagers about what people of different races experience.

“A white person will probably never experience what a black person experiences in life, just like a black person might not experience what an Asian person experiences,” adds Mr. Hendricks.

Racial Harmony meets the 1st and 3rd week of every month, and members are free to talk about whatever they feel like sharing, whether it is good or bad. The screening of Green Mile will be followed by discussion and afterthoughts on the movie.

Screening and discussion lasts from 6:30 P.M to 9:30 P.M on Tuesday, November 21st. Wristbands to gain admission can be purchased in cafeteria during lunch hours for $7, or $5 if 2 canned goods are donated. Also, be sure to follow Racial Harmony Club on instagram (@racialharmony.be) to find out how to get admission wristbands for free. For more questions, you can contact Mr. Hendricks.