The Lancer

Filed under Featured, News

Diversity Finds Unification

Foreign Exchange Students Come Together for International ED. Week

On Friday, November 17, exchange students from Belleville East held a Cultural Fair in the school library. That was the last day of International Education Week, which celebrates the different cultures around the world. Exchange students from Italy, Ukraine, Serbia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Bangladesh, and Pakistan held the fair during all lunch hours.

Students were able to enjoy learning about new cultures and try the national dishes from the countries represented. In addition, a box for donations was set at the entrance to the fair. During the fair, those donations raised nearly $100 for H.O.P.E Club of Belleville East.

When asked about most surprising thing about the fair, exchange students said right away they were surprised by the amount of people present and how interested everybody seemed. “Most of them were really interested in what we were doing. I thought they would not even pay attention” said Sofiya Zrazhayeva, an exchange student from Ukraine.

Students asked a lot of questions about the exchange students’ home countries. “The most interesting question I was asked was why Italians use a lot of hand gestures while speaking and why do we have so many dialects. It was really hard to answer,” explained Mattia Torchiani, an exchange student from Italy.  

All of the exchange students had only the best thoughts about this whole experience. Successful, interesting, and powerful were some of the words used among many students to describe their Cultural Fair experience.

However, one thing is universal: the fair was a unique and rewarding experience for all.