The Lancer

Sweet Songs of the Snowy Season

Belleville East Choir Holds Annual Winter Concert

There is no doubt that Christmas classics bring me plenty of joy: I have been blasting everything from Bing Crosby to Mariah Carey since December 1st. But out of all the various renditions I’ve heard this season, none brought me nearly as much joy as the Belleville East Music Department’s Winter Concert.

The performance covered a variety of tempos and eras. From the old origins of Christmas to the Grinch, complete centuries were covered by a combination of specialized groups.

Along with classic carols and traditional hymns, the concert had many innovative twists. Bass Choir took on Frozen’s “Let it Go” in their own low pitched fashion. Many songs featured special appearances, including soloists, a beatboxer, and–kazoos?

In addition to its many lighthearted elements, the concert also showcased breathtaking performances. During the singing of “Stars”, small flashlights used in a pitch black auditorium resembled a night sky. The audience’s senses were guided only by the voice of the choir. In what felt like a serene dream, the true talent of the choir couldn’t be seen–but heard.

And even when I couldn’t comprehend the words of compositions I heard, such as “An Die Musik” and “Gaudette!”, I could feel a sense of joy by just listening to the sounds of song.

And perhaps that is the undeniable power of song. Even though a culture’s holiday hymns aren’t familiar to every nationality, there is still a common feeling derived from the compositions. A human feeling, universally shared despite the diversity of our world.