The Lancer

Filed under Featured, News

Belleville East Rocks the Chicago Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

On January 20, Belleville East and Belleville West attended a debate tournament at Carl Sandburg High School in Orland Park, Illinois. Many high schools, both private and public, from all over the state came to this tournament. The competition was tough, but Belleville East Debate Team scored well in speaker points, and one of the students won the “Best Speaker” award.

Jamari Jackson won 4th place speaking award in Junior Varsity Division of Public Forum Debate. Jamari scored higher than 60 other students in his division. “The tournament was tough and brought a lot of challenges; however, I had a goal. With faith and determination, I was able to exceed everybody’s expectations, including my own,” said Jamari.

When asked about the success of tournament, the coach of debate team, Amanda Stauder, stated,“ I am thrilled that our students did so well at the tournament. Many of them won several rounds at the 5-round tournament, in both Public Forum and Lincoln Douglas Divisions. Students worked hard on preparing their cases, and I am extremely glad their hard work paid off.”

The Belleville East Debate Team has two more tournaments left this season, one of them being a state tournament in Chicago in March. We congratulate Jamari on his success and wish the best of luck for our debate team on the upcoming tournaments.

Note: Public Forum Debate is a debate between four students, two of them arguing the pro, and two of them arguing the con side of a certain topic. Lincoln Douglas Debate is a debate between two students.