The Lancer

Filed under Community, Featured, News

As Good as Gold

Belleville East Junior Earns Girl Scout Gold Award

Another great accomplishment of Belleville East students is the Girl Scout Gold Award, won by Katie Crockett for her exemplary work in renovating the William BeDell Achievement and Resource Center’s library. William BeDell ARC, a school for children with severe disabilities, is located in Wood River. The Girl Scout Gold Award is the highest award a Girl Scout can achieve. In order for a scout to win this award, she must design and carry out a project that is sustainable, fulfills a need in a community, and creates change. According to Girl Scouts of Southern Illinois, only 5% of all eligible Girl Scouts win the Girl Scout Gold Award.

Katie’s project took more than a year to be accomplished, and she devoted more than 200 service hours to it! She worked with the William DeBell ARC staff on creating a floor plan that will maximize accessibility for wheelchairs. Then, she started collecting furniture, shelving, and books for the library. In addition to this hard work, she also helped in establishing a virtual library, which would be able to check in, check out, and search for any item from any device connected to ARC’s wifi network. She then helped in entering all books and resources in a new database.

According to Katie, she felt inspired by kids attending the school. She wanted to speak up for those who are disadvantaged in society.  “I want to speak up for those who weren’t given a voice; I want to stand up for those who have no foothold in society.”

Another inspiration, she adds, is her late Uncle Tommy who was a student there. She believes this library renovation will keep his legacy alive.

When asked about how it felt to win the award, Katie said, “I was ecstatic!  I was also very relieved knowing that the committee had accepted my project and recognized it as gold-worthy.”

The whole process was extremely long; she finished her project in June 2017, but had to wait until August to present her project to Gold Award Committee. She will attend a ceremony in April, where her award will be presented to her. Her hard work proves that there are still people willing to step up for those in need, and provide them with the help they need. Her work is admirable and we congratulate her on a job well done!