The Lancer

Belleville East Students Show a Burst of Talent

The annual Belleville East Variety Show featured a vast variety of talent. Kicking off the night there were charlatans imitating the hosts of the night. After the crew realized the imposters, Jon Hoerner and Daniel Giles were chosen “at random” to be the masters of ceremony.

The dynamic duo would lead the night for their second and last year. Commencing the first act, Destiny Garner sang a soulful Melanie Martinez version of Britney Spears’  “Toxic.” Next, Angel James sang the infamous “Rise Up” by Andra Day, showing off her vocal range.

Following Angel, duo Paralign, featuring Julian Portela and Sixx Morrow, displayed their talented beatboxing skills. The first dance of the night was by Claire Fedele. Claire skillfully Irish danced in a bright pink, sparkly dress. Singing pair Mackenzie Bradshaw and Tina Casady covered “Clarity” by Zedd/The Foxes, matching high notes and singing a round.

Succeeding the pair, Dead South, also known as Isaac Oser, mirrored the song “Good Riddance” by Green Day through vocals and guitar; it was only fitting that he had a green background. During the break, the hosts covered the famous Disney Channel song, “The Start of Something New” from High School Musical. Additionally, there was a bonus performance during the break.

A jazz quartet consisting of Max DiPasquale, Gwynne McGrady, Nicholas Christ, and Evan Rist amazed the crowd with their musical performance. Act 2 began with a powerful praise/mime dance by Devin Oregon. Devin performed the dance to the gospel song “Better” by Jessica Reedy.

Next, Andrela Heidelberg covered the Pentatonix song “Hallelujah” without a track and hitting every note. Julia Donato sang a soothing cover “Someone Like You” by Adele. Following Julia, Izzy Barton covered the song “Helium” by Sia with her strong vocals while simultaneously playing her violin with background piano by Timothy Hassel.

Next, a six person Mashariki girl group: consisting of Miriah White, Trinity Marshall, Jackie Parker, Becky Holeman, and Miya Turner danced to a mashup of popular rap and hip-hop songs. Succeeding the talented dance, Jestiny Scandrick performed a cover of Thomas Sanders’ “Things We Used to Share” perfectly singing the high notes.

Before the last performance of the night there was a group dance to the songs “I Got a Feeling” and the “Cupid Shuffle.” The last performance was a spot-on cover of the 1960s Elvis Presley classic “Can’t Help Falling In Love” performed by Taylor Lawrence on vocals.

The Variety Show couldn’t be completed without the directors: Sir Ross Kincaid and Sir Thomas Hickey, the tech crew members in the booth: Mahlik Good, Joshua Griffin, Logan McMahon, and Bailey Apazeller, and the behind the stage members: Piper Field, Taylor Sims, Logan Barringer, Nkosi Conway, and Charles Long. The hospitality of the night featured house crew members Alana McNeely, Veronica Jelks, Kellan Poettgen, and Anija Durden. It’s safe to say that missing this night full of talent would have been a huge mistake.